"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating."
- Luciano Pavarotti

Monday, March 22, 2010

It's Funny What You Can Stumble Across...


In a previous blog post I wrote about one of my most favourite bloggers - Scott Schuman. Also known as The Sartorialist, he takes his camera to the streets to capture people who wear garments with confidence and style. Like I mentioned in my post, he most often visits cities famous for style, such as Manhattan, Paris, Milan, etc. As a born and raised Torontonian (ok fine, I'm actually from Mississauga, but that's close enough), my many ventures to the city's core and its surrounding areas have made me realize Toronto has some pretty fashionable citizens too. So I hit the streets to do my take on "The Sartorialist in Toronto". At first I felt somewhat awkward approaching random people to explain what I was doing and asking permission to take their photograph, but it became easier with every shot I took. It even ended up turning into somewhat of a networking experience, with some of my subjects handing me cards or writing down addresses for their own websites.

While I was walking through the Eaton's Centre I walked by the two people in this photograph. I thought their outfits were very stylishly "Siberian" inspired and asked if I could take a picture. They gladly let me and in between shots told me they were actually in a band. The girl in the photo pulled out a crumpled receipt from her bag and wrote down the name of their band - "The Vicious Guns".

I've always been a supporter of local talent so when I finally got a chance to "google" them, I made sure I had ample time to see what they were all about ... and I am impressed! I don't think it would be fair to compare their sound to that of other artists, since my knowledge in music isn't extensive enough to do this accurately. I also think that there is tons of hidden talent out there, so if you get a chance to expose some of these gems you should definitely go for it. Having said that, I suggest a visit to The Vicious Guns MySpace page to hear a few of their songs. Hope you enjoy this homegrown talent as much as I did!


1 comment:

  1. this is awesome! goes to show...you never know who you could run into walking the streets.. (and with that being said...ALWAYS look goood!) lol. nice of you to support some home grown talent. i have noticed a lot of local talent getting out there lately and making a name for themselves...who knows - maybe the vicious guns are next.

    ReplyDelete

Followers